Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Important to Download Updates to Avoid Expensive Repairs on Your Computer

Updates for Windows (or any operating system you are using) seem to pop up daily. I, for one, have been guilty at ignoring the advice box simply because I couldn't be bothered to wait. Well, I got caught with a slower computer and finally took it into my patient "Computer Repair Man" for a service. I was advised that the problem could have been avoided if I had bothered to take the time and allow the updates to come in. Fair enough! After paying this bill I have been most particular to deal with the updates first before starting work.

The upshot is that software is fallible and it can contain, for lack of a better word, "bugs". That is why software updates are so important. These update fix errors in code (the maths language of computers), improve usability and they correct vulnerabilities in the software that can be targeted by hackers.

If your computer does not receive software updates a virus can attack and affect the installed antivirus program on the machine. I was amazed to find this out because I was under the impression that the antivirus program would not be vulnerable to hackers. The virus hides in the background where it, (actually it is the hacker who controls the virus), now has control over your machine.

The hacker can now access on your computer to for example;

Data theft (e.g. passwords, security codes, credit card information)
Install other software (including other malware)
Download your files
View your screen
This is easy to avoid, simply by accepting, as I finally have, that updates must be down and the computer rebooted. Note, to allow any that are marked important or recommended.

I was advised that whatever I did, I was not to interrupt the update process once it has started.

So take the time, go make a coffee, but this is one time when following instructions is best.

Simple to do, can be expensive if not done!

Protect your home business computer by just taking the time to keep it up-dated.

Wendy Heyworth lives in Tauranga New Zealand
Wendy has had a successful business career and is now working in e-commerce. She is aware of the difficulties of working and running a business over the Internet.
She is now advising others how to be successful the first time in their new business.

No comments:

Post a Comment